Orioles Card "O" the Day

An intersection of two of my passions: baseball cards and the Baltimore Orioles. Updated daily?

Thursday, April 9, 2015

Willie Harris, 2001 Leaf Limited #293

I usually have pretty fair luck with Thorzul's group breaks, but I received my spoils from his latest lot in the mail today, and...not so much. Milwaukee's favorite blogger had bought up a whole mess of serial-numbered sports cards on eBay, and anyone could buy in for $30. That got you four teams, one from each major U.S. sport. I was really only in it for the Orioles, but I also claimed the New York Giants (as trade bait), the Charlotte Hornets/Bobcats (since my wife is from Charlotte), and the Detroit Red Wings (eh, I liked them when I was younger). My haul was a big fistful of assorted Giants, a handful of Bobcats, no hockey cards, though I wouldn't have known what to do with them anyhow, and a mere five O's. There were Rafael Palmeiro and Sammy Sosa cards from 2005, mementos of the most disappointing season of my fanhood, 2001 rookie cards of Ed Rogers and Sean Douglass, as a reminder that "rookie" is often synonymous with "footnote in baseball history", and this Willie Harris rookie card, which was short printed and serial numbered 536 of 1000. Looking at the checklist for 2001 Leaf Limited, one of the relic inserts featured a scrap of Josh Towers' pants. I don't know whether I'm relieved or disappointed that I missed out on that one.

No comments: